Thursday, November 03, 2005

Male circumcision and HIV infection: the ethics of a landmark study












In an earlier post, I mentioned some of the preliminary and partial results of a randomized controlled trial of the use of male circumcision to reduce risk of HIV infection in South Africa (the ANRS 1265 trial). Those results were presented at the International AIDS Society in Rio last July, and an article further detailing the study methods and findings have just appeared in the November issue of PLoS Medicine. In an unusual move, the editors of PLoS Medicine have seen fit to write an editorial to explain why it choose to publish the trial results – after having them combed over by six reviewers -- and the issue also includes a commentary by the head of one of the IRBs that originally approved the protocol. It is safe to say that the study is regarded as ethically hot, and its publication is unlikely to cool it down.

ANRS 1265 was a randomized controlled trial with one intervention arm (1640 men who received circumcisions after recruitment) and one control arm (1654 uncircumcised men). During the course of the study, initially planned to take 21 months, 20 men in the intervention arm became HIV positive as opposed to 49 in the control arm. This translates into a 60% protection rate – a rate comparable to an efficacious vaccine and achieved by means of a relatively simple surgical intervention. For decades, there have been observational studies and meta-analyzes suggesting the protective qualities of circumcision against female-to-male HIV transmission, but this study seems to finally offer experimental proof. The importance of the findings is unquestionable.

But where are the ethical flashpoints? There seem to be at least two related ones. First, while it would seem to be logical to limit the participants to HIV negative men, the researchers choose not to use a positive HIV test as an exclusion criterion, reasoning that such a criterion would risk subjecting prospective participants to stigmatization. Thus the presence of some HIV positive men in the trial was virtually guaranteed. Second, while the researchers drew blood to test for syphilis and HIV, interviewed participants in detail about their sexual activities, offered HIV counseling, and encouraged the men to be HIV tested at local clinics, they did not inform participants of their HIV status if they did not wish to be informed. The study design, in fact, called for researchers to be blinded as to the HIV status of the participants. So on the one hand, the trial presupposed that some of these at-risk men (both circumcised and uncircumcised) would be or become HIV positive during the trial, but on the other hand the trial left no room for a ‘duty to warn’ those who were or became HIV positive, even if the participant revealed in interviews that he was engaging in unsafe sex. As the article puts it:

They [the investigators] considered it unethical to inform participants of their HIV status without their permission, even if they thought that participants should be aware of their HIV status.

Some might say that in the name of avoiding stigmatization and respecting autonomy, the researchers were studying (at least in some cases) HIV positive persons engaging in harmful practices without protecting third parties. And why did the investigators need to be blinded in regard to the HIV status of the men in the first place? Couldn’t the same results be generated by an ethically less controversial trial design?

Readers are invited to read the PLoS article and draw their own ethical conclusions.

7 Comments:

Blogger sdfsbo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So aside from the issue of informing the HIV+ participants of their status, the question must be posed, how could they tell whether they had a higher number of HIV+ participants in one group or the other? If by chance, the circumcised group started out with fewer HIV+ members, the results would favor circumcision when the reality could be the other way around. I think The Lancet was correct to reject this study. And while the newest studies have yet to be published, I would bet they have similar problems.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

2015-10-13 zhengjx
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet On Sale
michael kors handbags
cheap jordans
ugg australia
cheap nfl jerseys
Lebron 12,11,10 Shoes For Sale
Louis Vuitton Outlet 100% Authentic
ugg boots
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Stores Online
canada goose outlet
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Sale
michael kors outlet sale
Coach Factory Outlet Online Sale Discount
canada goose outlet
michael kors outlet online
cheap louis vuitton
Coach Outlet Store Online Clearance
Michael Kors Outlet Online Sale Free Shipping
coach outlet store online
ugg boots
nike outlet,nike shoes,nike store,nike air max,nike free run,air max,nike free,nike blazers
Louis Vuitton Outlet Discount Handbags
cheap ugg boots
hermes birkin
ugg boots
Coach Factory Outlet Discount Online
true religion jeans
nike air max

8:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My name is pineda from CALIFORNIA . few months back I was diagnosed with HERPES virus, I felt so depressed because I knew that their was no cure (solution) to it, it was so hard to share with my Family, but I couldn't help it than to discuss it with my wife because the issue was already getting out of hands, I and my wife started looking for answers to the problem, we have visited so my hospital for help but to no avail. On this faithful morning my wife called me and told me she came across a comment on social media and it was talking about how a doctor cured a lady of her HIV VIRUS and some other talking about herpes cure, I was amazed because I knew HIV VIRUS was hard to cure...so I said to her can the doctor have answers to my problems too?,in the other hands there was no harm in trying so I and my wife agreed in contacting the doctor for help, DR atukema is a true heavenly sent to cure me, in no time I sent an email to him and he gave me all the details i need now am happy and cured from herpes virus all thanks to dr atukema for his awsome work for me if you are similar problem like mine you can contact doctor on him email via
dr.atukema@gmail.com or WHATSAPP VIA +2347064693371
THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS
dr.atukema@gmail.com
whatsapp.....+2347064693371

12:07 PM  
Blogger mary care said...

Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never believe that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 year now before I came across a comment about how
dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind
that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that
night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was
a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the
truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I
waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check
up and I went for HIV test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and
grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i
decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend
Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173
dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
He can also cure so many sickness

5:44 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

yeezy shoes
adidas yeezy
louboutin
air jordans
michael kors outlet
russell westbrook shoes
golden goose outlet
jordan shoes
moncler
nike x off white

3:33 AM  
Blogger MATINA said...


I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home