Thursday, July 23, 2015

Postmodernity and global polio eradication

Polio is getting closer to being eradicated. If it happens, it would join (along with smallpox among humans and rinderpest among cattle) that very rare class of pathogens that have been taken literally out of circulation by conscious human efforts.  That sounds good, but in the case of polio it also shows just how long it takes medical advances to deeply penetrate resource-limited and politically volatile settings: a safe and effective vaccine has already been around for half a century. In any case, due to the collective efforts by charitable organizations, civil society, government and religious leaders, Nigeria is getting nearer to being rid of polio, and tomorrow will mark a year since a case of polio has been diagnosed there. The remaining holdouts are Pakistan and Afghanistan. But potential threats to polio eradication may lie elsewhere, where you rationally would expect it less.

Like California. According to the California Department of Public Health, over 60% of children in the state have not received the full suite of vaccinations. This is partly a case of being victims of their own success: Americans have little experience of what it is like to be prey to infectious agents precisely because vaccines have worked so well on so many of them. It is a stance you have the luxury of taking from a position of relative privilege. But it is partly due also to a culture of gossip, suspicion and kneejerk mistrust of medical authority, and hence also from a position of ignorance. If vaccines are the product of Enlightenment faith in reason and science to improve society, rejection of vaccines -- when not itself based on sound reasoning and evidence -- is regression into a pre-scientific state where life was nasty, brutish and short. Privilege and ignorance is a toxic combination, and some people have to (re-)learn the hard way.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger PatriciaMoncrief said...

This kind of information will help peoples to get more knowledge. Even your writing style makes easy to understand your post very well. So share this kind of post more for helping us. Prefer this best essay for more writing help.

3:02 AM  
Blogger John Gibson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Alex jones said...

Thank you for writing such a wonderful article, it is really going to motivate people to achieve something big and dream bigger in future.
Assignment Help

5:32 AM  
Blogger karen disch said...

Hello all my viewers my name is Karen i was suffering from HIV/AIDS disease for the past 6 years ago and ever since i have been passing through serious agony in my life,i contact this infection through my boyfriend and i have done series of tests and taking drugs to be cure but unfortunate for me i still carry this deadly infection inside of me,i will love to say i was so lucky to have came across Dr Patrick several testimony online people testifying series of how they were totally cure of HIV/AIDS through his herbal medicine on his email: dr.busyspellhome@gmail.comi contacted his email and explain my situation to him and he accepted to help me cure my HIV/AIDS disease,i followed his instruction and indeed he prepare a herbal medicine for me and after i receive the herbal medicine he told me how to apply the herbal medicine and after 3 weeks of usage i did the test again and i was confirmed negative.you can contact his Mobil number +2347061824880

11:54 AM  
Blogger rcpr.training said...

Much obliged to you for composing such a magnificent article, it is truly going to inspire individuals to accomplish something important and dream greater in future.
Infant CPR

6:37 AM  
Blogger jane said...

A great thanks to DR.INEGBEDION the man that help me when i was very sick, i and my husband where HIV positive and my little daughter had it too, I have try all my possible best to get cured but I couldn’t come up with anything, am from Congo married and Lives in USA I have gone to different hospital but no cure, when i discovered i was losing my mind because of thinking i will die soon, I informed my family back home in my country, they feet bad, but told me about a cure in Africa, they gave me the contact of DR.INEGBEDION, i contacted him and asked him what he can do for me to get cured, he told me what to do, and whats requested for the cure, that I should give my details to him and the man requested for items for the cure i and my husband provided everything to him on the evening of it he called me and told me what to do after two weeks i and my husband went for test and we where tested negative, is close to five months now theres no week i dont go for test just to be sure am okay, but all the results shows am perfectly fine, you can email him now through drinegbedionspellhomes@gmail.com or drinegbedionspellhome@outlook.com or call him on +2347063628174 or add him on his whats-app number at +2349051177568.

12:47 AM  
Blogger nish gau said...

Nice Instagram post. Visit website more followers on instagram to get free followers for Instagram

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home