Friday, May 19, 2006

Another cure for AIDS bites the dust


As a recent issue of Newsweek points out, the AIDS epidemic has been with us now for 25 years, and has resulted in at least 25 million deaths. Given the magnitude of the suffering, the desire for a cure is strong. So it is not surprising that people come forward from time to time with the claim of a cure for AIDS. Probably the most interesting is the cure for AIDS attributed to Luigi Scrosoppi, an Italian priest, who died back in 1884. Peter Changu Shitima, a young catechist in Zambia, was in the terminal stages of AIDS in 1996. The local parish prayed to the Blessed Luigi, and Scrosoppi appeared in a dream to Shitma, who was miraculously returned to health. Scrosoppi was canonized in 2001 for this feat. Unfortunately, this is not the sort of cure that can be generalized for whole populations. But neither can mopane worms, for that matter. And as for Dr Abalaka in Nigeria, always willing to inject himself with blood from HIV positive patients to prove the efficacy of his homebrewed HIV vaccine, not much news of late.

Last week, the Iranian Elahi Allahgholi was arrested for making and peddling his own AIDS cure, which goes by the evocative name of Khomeini. An 11-member team established by the Ugandan Ministry of Health determined that Khomeini is composed of olive oil, honey, and minerals, and while it could be an excellent base for making baklava, it will not cure AIDS.

In sub-Saharan Africa, only approximately 11% of those in need of AIDS treatment have access to anti-retrovirals, and anti-retrovirals have sometimes terrible side-effects and are made by pharmaceutical companies that do not always have the interests of individuals in mind. So it is tempting to think that an indigenous, herbal cure will come out of Africa, and defy all the well-funded attempts of Western medicine to control the virus. The scenario is delightful enough, but at the moment it is still too good to be true.

2 Comments:

Blogger mirabel james said...

I am mirabel james from New York. I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with HIV... I though about my children and my husband, I know my children will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found Dr. Olufo contact number. I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Olufo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Olufo and very happy with my hubby and children. email him on drolufogreatman@gmail.com; or email me mirabeljames25@gmail.com, call him on +2348112000854, www.dr-olufo.webs.com
http://olufo-herbs-cure-hiv.blogspot.com

1:12 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

yeezy boost
fila shoes
kobe shoes
off white
kd shoes
yeezy boost 350 v2
air max 2019
golden goose outlet
nike air max
golden goose

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home